Tuesday, August 21, 2012

SUPERFOOD: VEGAN WARM BLACK RICE SALAD, GREEN & HEARTY



Last nights favorite ingredient:  Black Rice

My husband was craving something a little less raw last night.  He's been doing real well with eating what I eat these days whether it be raw, vegan or vegetarian.  Such a trooper!  So I thought, yea, I will make him something hearty and tasty.  I really, really love black rice.  I picked up a package at Whole Foods the other day so perfect, I thought.  This one is imported from Thailand. On the package it said:  "Originally the proprietary rice of emperors, black rice is a member of the "royal family" of food because of the minerals, antioxidants and natural-occurring amino acids contained in it."   When you cook this rice it is soooo aromatic and delicious smelling!

In an article I read on Huff Post, it was interesting to note that research was presented at the 240th national meeting of the American Cancer Society, brought out the Baltimore Sun.  The findings show that just a spoonful of black rice bran contains more health promoting anthocyanin antioxidants than are found in a spoonful of blueberries, but with less sugar and more fiber and vitamin E antioxidants," said Zhimin Xu, associate professor at the Department of Food Science at Louisiana State University Agricultural Center, the paper reported. He said it is even better than brown rice, and considered a more healthful alternative to white rice. Black rice is also rich in iron and fiber and has a deep, nutty taste.


It's a rich source of anthocyanin antioxidants -- also found in red grapes, strawberries, red wine, red cabbage, red onion, and blood orange juice. Anthocyanin antioxidants have been shown to reduce the risk of heart disease and cancer, CBS News reported.

I guess we are on the right track then, right?

My husband was eating a bowl of this in the living room and shouted out to me that it was super delicious.  Yay!  Mission accomplished! 







Here's the recipe:

INGREDIENTS:
Black Rice, cooked per instructions. 
Haricot Vert, Chopped, Raw or Quick Blanched*
Sweet Potato, steamed and cubed (another superfood!)
Sweet Corn raw, cut from the cob
red onion chopped
Kale, chopped up small

DRESSING:
Olilve Oil
Salt
Pepper

If you are a vegetarian and want to throw in some cheese, some crumbled goat cheese would be really nice.

Cook the rice and let cool down a little andToss all the ingredients together in a large bowl while the rice is still a little warm, but not hot. Drizzle on lightly some olive oil and a few pinches of salt and pepper to taste, toss again and serve.  (This salad is also good with most of your favorite salad dressings.)

*For vegetables you don't like to eat raw, you can quick blanch them to cook them slightly and give them more greenness.  Put the Haricot Vert in a strainer, boil some water in a small pot.  Once the water is boiled pour it over the Haricot Vert, then it through some cold water and serve or use.

I really enjoyed this salad.  Black rice is definitely my favorite rice right now, hands down.  I know I will be eating this again.  

I hope you do too!

P.S. Oh I forgot to mention that I threw in some black lentils that I had left over...yum!





1 comment:

Unknown said...

This looks amazing! I can't wait to try it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...