September 21, 2012:
How to Transition into a Raw Food Diet
When I first started out transitioning into raw foods, I had no idea where to start. I didn’t know anyone else who ate the way I was attempting to eat. I just knew I did not feel good and something had to change fast. So from one day to the next, I basically quit cold turkey going from the typical Standard American Diet (SAD) of meats, processed foods, sugary refined desserts to whole, fresh raw foods. Although I found myself really enjoying the new foods I was eating, I found quitting so drastically set me up for failure.
So I thought I would share with you today some tips on how to transition into raw foods in a way that sets you up for success.
1) Instead of focusing on what to take out of your diet focus on adding in more fruits and veggies into your diet.
2) If raw foods seem daunting at first, try going vegan.
3) Start with having fruit for breakfast, ie smoothies, fruit bowls, several pieces of whole fruit.
4) Once you get breakfast down start making the rest of your meals half raw. For example, if you have pasta for dinner, add a large green salad with that.
5) Eat the salads or raw part of your meal first. So instead of filling up on pasta and only finishing half the salad you intended, eat the salad and veggies first so that you are sure to fill up on the most nutritious part first crowding out the other food.
6) If you give into a craving or caved into to old habits, don’t get discouraged it happens. Get back up and start with the next meal. You always have the very next meal to start off on the right foot.
Transitioning into raw foods is an amazing journey. So have fun along the way and enjoy it. Have your why’s for doing the diet clearly in mind, to always keep you motivated. If you are having set backs or struggling just keep moving forward. Remember it’s not the pace but the direction in which you are going. Keep moving forward and you will feel the inner GLOW exuding from the inside out!