Sunday, September 9, 2012

WARM BROWN RICE SALAD

 
 
 
 
 
I love these types of recipes and dishes because its super easy to make, it doesn't take a lot of time and you can make a lot and have some more for later.  I'll usually make a big bowl for dinner and then pack some for lunch the next day.  I love to cook, but there are defintely those day where you just do not have the time to spend in the kitchen.  This is is the perfect recipe for that.
 
Also, I love the fact that you can really substitute the brown rice for any of your favorite grains... bulgar, red lentils, black lentils, or my favorite black rice.  I made a similar dish HERE.
 

BROWN RICE SALAD

 
1 cup short grain brown rice, cooked
1 cup raw broccolli, chopped, or quick blanche*
1 cup raw cauliflower, chopped, or quick blanche*
1 cup raw mushrooms, sliced
1 cup butternut squash, steamed
1 cup edamames, perpared per directions
Fresh basil
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
 
For these types of non raw recipes, I try to keep as many of the ingredients raw if I can.  I love the contrast between the soft and the crispness of the ingredients.

*For vegetables you don't like to eat raw, you can quick blanch them to cook them slightly and give them more greenness. Put the broccolli and cauliflower in a strainer, boil some water in a small pot. Once the water is boiled pour it over the broccolli or cauliflower, then run it through some cold water and serve.
 
Cook the rice and the butternut squash and cool to room tempurature.  Blend all the ingredients in a large bow, fold and season with salt and pepper.  So simple!
 
Enjoy!
 
 

 

 
 


 
 
 
 


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm loving all the flavor combinations your coming up with. It's like tasting food for the first time!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...